Join the Property Brothers, Drew and Jonathan Scott, as they help homeowners sell their current home and buy a new property in HGTV's new series, Property Brothers: Buying + Selling. Jonathan renovates the family's current home for a successful sale, while Drew checks out the best options for the family's new property. Drew then oversees the selling of the renovated home and the buying of a new house.

Property Brothers: Buying + Selling - Netflix

Type: Reality

Languages: English

Status: Running

Runtime: 60 minutes

Premier: 2012-08-29

Property Brothers: Buying + Selling - Bill Brown (rancher) - Netflix

William Walter Brown (July 19, 1855 – January 11, 1941) was an American pioneer rancher in central Oregon. He owned two large ranches between Burns and Prineville, Oregon. Together, his properties comprised one of the largest privately owned sheep and horse operations in the United States. He was known as the Horse King of the West and the Millionaire Horse King because over 10,000 horses carried his Horseshoe Bar brand. Brown was also a well-known philanthropist who gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to a wide range of religious and educational institutions.

Property Brothers: Buying + Selling - Ranching empire - Netflix

Brown owned between 34,000 acres (140 km2) and 64,000 acres (260 km2) of range land. His holdings were spread across at least 30 parcels which included much of the surface water in the very dry high desert environment between the towns of Prineville and Burns. His property included large tracts of land in four Oregon counties: Crook, Harney, Lake, and Deschutes (which was part of Crook County until 1916). Because he controlled most of the water sources in the area, his herds could graze freely across a wide expanse of high desert including large tracts of public lands. The area ran approximately 80 miles (130 km) north to south and 50 miles (80 km) east to west. Brown's eastern neighbor was the cattle baron Bill Hanley, who owned two large ranches south and east of Burns. Brown divided his operations into two ranches, the Gap Ranch and the Buck Creek Ranch. The Gap Ranch was located 35 miles (56 km) west of Burns, along the area's main east-west wagon road (today it is U.S. Route 20). His main headquarters was at the Buck Creek Ranch, located in an isolated valley 20 miles (32 km) northeast of the Gap Ranch. Prior to 1910, the Buck Creek Ranch was a collection of ramshackle buildings; woolsheds, storehouses, stables, rustic living quarters, and a company store. In 1910, Brown added a new modern fourteen room house to the ranch complex. The new house had a modern water system, indoor bathrooms, seven or eight bedrooms, a large living room, and an office. Brown furnished it with fine furniture including a dining room table that seated twelve, a piano, and an organ. In addition to the two main ranches, Brown had at least twenty sheep camps that supported eight herds that were constantly moving between his properties and adjacent public lands. With his operation spread across such a large area, Brown often found the need to order supplies or pay off an employee when he did not have a checkbook at hand. In such cases, he would write out his payment check on any handy piece of paper. This included butcher paper, soup can labels, and tablet paper; he even wrote checks in newspaper margins. This practice helped him earn the reputation as an eccentric. Nevertheless, Brown was so well-known for doing this that merchants and bankers in Burns and Prineville would cash these unusual drafts without question. By 1909, Brown had an annual income of around $140,000. This included revenue from the sale of horses, rams, and cattle plus approximately 18,000 wool fleeces produced on his ranches. Throughout his life, Brown was a generous philanthropist. He gave large financial gifts to a wide range of religious and educational institutions, especially the Methodist Episcopal Church and Willamette University. At one time he had even written a will that left $500,000 to those two institutions. In 1907, Brown paid for a new music building at Willamette University and later gave the school 640 acres (2.6 km2) in Harney County. Other significant gifts included a $30,000 donation to Willamette University as well as large contributions to the Presbyterian seminary in Pendleton, another seminary in San Francisco, and the College of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington. When his niece was accepted at the University of Oregon, Brown sent the school $25,000.

Property Brothers: Buying + Selling - References - Netflix